Bifidobacterium Longum is a rod shaped, gram negative bacterium present in the human gastrointestinal track and one of first bacteria to colonise infant’s intestines. They are resistant to stomach acid and bile. Bifidobacterium longum has received the FDA designation of GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe).
Bifidobacterium longum is also used in ‘bioyogurts’ which are popular in weight managements and cardio health applications.
Health significance when used as a probiotics:
- Improves digestive health
- Helps to reduce diarrhea.
- Reduce symptoms of Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome
- Helps to improve lactose digestion
- Produces lactic and acetic acids that lower the intestinal pH and further inhibit undesirable bacteria
- Boosts the immune system